- Getting inspired at the least expected moment and telling yourself ‘please not now, brain I have nowhere to write all this..’ and then completely forgetting what could have been the most amazing piece in your portfolio!
- Socializing is so difficult when you catch your self day dreaming 90 percent of the time..
Sorry what are we talking about?
- Failure is just not an option when you can treat it as ‘experimental’ work and just another lesson learnt.
- That secret stash full of old boxes, scrap pieces of felt, broken jewelry and old wrapping paper… Because you just never know when the most amazing ideas start filling your head and you just wouldn’t want to miss an opportunity.
- When you’re told to get a real degree because you do art drama or dance…
- Working all night on a piece because you just absolutely fell in love with an idea, and wanting to bin it the next day.
- Life is not easy when you see potential in every little scrap of paper.
- When people confuse your creative thought process with procrastination…
- Boundaries? What boundaries? 😉
- Throwing a massive ‘hissy fit’ when you find out that your idea is already an idea..
That’s all guys! Let me know what your creative struggles are and if you can relate to any of these!
As children we spend hours on end playing ‘pretend home/school’, playing dolls/cars, singing, dancing and drawing.. The truth is that all these ‘games’ teach us some amazing skills such us organization, planning, problem solving but most importantly how to express ourselves.
Just think about it, in terms of expression:
Pretend games – drama expression
Drawing – art expression
Singing and dancing – movement expression…
So So very important during emotional development!
So you say how is this going to help us in adulthood? Well, drama = performance, performance = getting confident in front of audience, getting confident in front of audience = potentially more comfortable with meetings, presentations and interviews.
An article states that “experts say there’s a strong connection between creative expression and overall wellbeing. Key components of the creative personality, like novelty-seeking and perseverance, are also good predictors of life satisfaction. ”
Then WHY, I repeat WHY are we ‘cutting out’ the opportunities for creative expression in schools????!!
I found this article some of you might find interesting on the subject of creative GCSE’s and how the opportunities are being closed off, ‘especially for poorer students’
The same goes for art, music and dance. Then if these are so beneficial to still practice in adulthood, why don’t we? It hard to find the time? Is it that we don’t want to act ‘silly’ or ‘stupid’ because it is socially unacceptable for adults to be silly and have fun ?
We need more education on the benefits of creativity in childhood and adulthood!
Let me know your thoughts and opinion on this matter, do you agree or think that arts are a waste of time anyway?…